A dry mouth is more than just irritating. Without enough saliva, you aren’t washing away food particles and bacteria from your mouth. We’re sharing a fascinating podcast by the Oral Health Foundation that talks about chronic dry mouth and how it impacts your oral health:
Here are a few ways to keep dry mouth at bay:
- Drink plenty of water. It may sound like an obvious tip, but staying hydrated is important. Sip water throughout your day to ensure your body has plenty of fluids.
- Chew sugar-free gum. Gum sweetened with Xylitol is great for producing saliva in your mouth.
- Cut down on caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco usage. These items lead to an increase in chronic dry mouth.
- Use a humidifier. It can increase the moisture in the room and relieve your dry mouth condition.
- Visit us for a checkup. Your dentists can recommend products to use at home to relieve your dry mouth and protect your oral health.